The normal requirement for admission into the MA is an Honours or Specialization in Spanish or equivalent degree with a minimum GPA of 3.3 on a 4.3 scale. Students also need to provide:
- official transcripts
- curriculum vitae
- three letters of reference
- statement of purpose in English or French
- demonstration of oral and written competence — applicants must submit a 5-minute voice sample in Spanish in an audio file (MP3, iTunes, or WMA) and a 1000-word writing sample in Spanish.
Please see "How to Apply" for detailed application requirements. All applications will be reviewed by the Graduate Studies Committee.
International applicants whose primary language is not English must provide eligible proof of English proficiency. The minimum required score for TOEFL iBT is 80 and 550 for TOEFL PBT. Applicants may also submit IELTS (International English Language System) results. The minimum acceptance score for IELTS is 6.5.
For admission in September - February 1
For admission in January - October 1
Requirements for the Degree
- Credits. A fully-qualified candidate is required to complete a minimum of 45 credits.
- Residence. The minimum residence requirement for the Master of/Magisteriate in Arts (Hispanic Studies) is three terms (one year) of full-time study, or the equivalent in part-time study.
- GPA Requirement. The academic progress of students is monitored on a periodic basis. To be permitted to continue in the program, students must obtain a cumulative grade point average (GPA) of 3.00 based on a minimum of 12 credits. Students whose GPA falls below 3.00 are considered to be on academic probation during the following review period. Students whose GPA falls below 3.00 for two consecutive review periods are withdrawn from the program.
- C Rule. Students who obtain a C grade in a course will be required to repeat the course or take another course to be chosen in consultation with the supervisor together with the Graduate Program Director. Students receiving more than one C grade will be withdrawn from the program. Students may apply for readmission. Students who receive another C grade after re-admission will be withdrawn from the program and may not reapply.
- F Rule. Students who receive a failing grade in the course of their studies will be withdrawn from the program. Students may apply for readmission. Students who receive another failing grade after re-admission will be withdrawn from the program.
- Time Limit. All work for a master's/magisteriate degree for full-time students must be completed within 12 terms (4 years) from the time of initial registration in the program at Concordia University; for part-time students the time limit is 15 terms (five years).
- Graduation Requirement. In order to graduate, students must have accumulative GPA of at least 3.00.